Thursday, September 3, 2015

Nature's Beauty

Sunset and Death

This is a photo that I've taken just last summer. And as we all know, here in the Philippines, when it's summer time, sunsets are at their best. But don't worry, you don't have to travel very far just to witness this magical event (aka sunset). You can simply witness it at the comfort of your homes. All you have to do is take note of the exact time the sun sets in your place (you can check it online) and choose a spot where you want to watch it (i.e on the porch, by the window, in your room) as long as the area is unobstructed, you're good. (*TIPS: 1. Always remember that the sun sets in the west so make sure the location you've chosen is facing west. 2. Sunsets, just like sunrise have spectacular colors you've got to watch out for and they don't usually last long, probably just for half an hour during the entire sunset/sunrise.)

// RANDOM THOUGHTS I HAVE //

          While taking this photo (or maybe even before, or after lol), a thought came into my mind and I just cannot not post it here since the purpose of this blog is to help me "vent out my emotions/thoughts/feelings that I cannot say out loud". So back to the photo. Again, while staring at the beautiful and almost magical sunset that day with my sister, a thought struck me: Isn't it strange how we're afraid of death but not of the sunset?
I mean, they're much like the same, they both mean the same: endings. Some authors have even used sunset as a metaphor/symbol for death. Emily Dickinson for example used it on her poem "Because I Could Not Stop For Death" wherein it's stated there (Lines 12 & 13):

"We passed the Setting Sun
Or rather – He passed us –"

          So again, why are people afraid of death but not of sunsets when they're pretty much the same? Maybe because we know that after the sunset, sunrise will come which symbolizes new beginnings? Whereas in death, when you're dead; that's it. That's the end of your story. No more new beginnings for you. Some other people might say that there's life after death and that may be your "sunrise". But is there really a place after death where you can start anew? A place where a new beginning, your "sunrise" awaits you? I don't know. I've never tried dying and as much as I also wanted to know the answer to my own question, I guess like you, I'm left with no other option but just wait for the right time. Wait for our "sunset". But as of now, why won't we just enjoy the magical sunset everyday that we get to see with our loved ones? The sunset which we're sure of will be followed by the sunrise.

2 comments: